Sister Emily DeFord

Called to serve as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Colorado Fort Collins mission.

Printfriendly

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Week 52: 8/11/14



August 11, 2014
Cheyenne, WY
My priorities have been realigned once again so I am writing my weekly report first ;) But first, a flashback.  One year ago, today, I used my personal cellphone for the last time, talked to my best friend, now Elder Oldham, for the last time, then went and ate delicious kettle corn made by Doug as comfort food :) Later that night I was able to have much of my family gather around, including grandparents DeFord, to have Bishop Smith and President Call in my home to be set apart "by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the gospel"
(Ha, bet you never saw the 5th Article of Faith like that before :) Oh, and what is my missionary textbook called?  Preach My Gospel)
We got to hear testimonies from my family, and my dad gave me advice about being a missionary which I have shared with each of my companions, plus a few ;) That is just how good the advice was!
Later that night, Adam told me he had wanted to take me to see Despicable Me 2 but we ran out of time because he was leaving for Scout camp early the next morning, but we have a date for when I get back ;)
The next day I had a minor freak out (minor, right mom?) about my departure date from the MTC which had me only being there for 5 days.
Two days after being set apart was goodbye to my family besides Mom and Michael (who skipped band to come with me!) one stop at the doctor to get a wart off of my toe literally on our way out of town and a long drive down to Utah (with stops for ice cream and in Boise to see Peter and Dallas on the way) where we got to see some of the Ransom family!
Then Wednesday morning took lots of deep breaths before being finally dropped off by mom and Michael at the MTC into a whirlwind of I didn't know what.
That whirlwind has continued in different forms for all of the past year.  Probably it will continue for the rest of this life in some way, shape, or form, as it really was going ever since I became accountable.  However, this is the promise on which I rest, some advice given from a father to his sons, which they decided to share with others because that is just how good the advice was!
"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." (Helaman 5:12)
Speaking of foundations, have you seen the work on the Fort Collins temple recently?  If not http://cameras.liveviewtech.com/network_cameras/public_live_cameras_video/825 there you go!
This week I got to have 3 different companions!  Sister Christensen and I have decided to leave week one and week six of the transfer with no exchanges in them (hopefully) but that means we have to double up one week, and this was the lucky week!
Sister Sowder and I had one of those days where everything falls through but it turns out great anyway, even despite the attack of the flying ants and the sudden downpour :)
Then Sister Christensen and I were companions long enough to do a training at our zone meeting, before switching again and I got to bring Sister Cardon home!  (Sister Cardon is from Yakima, by the way:) ).  We had a really neat experience together.  There was a potential investigator named J___ who we hadn't gotten ahold of for a while, so we went to see if we could catch him.  Turns out he was going to be moving in a few days so it is a good thing we caught him then!  He has had a rather horrible couple of weeks but found some peace in talking to us.  He really loves Jesus Christ, knows the Bible, and applies it!  He then told us about how he had prayed to ask God if there was a faith he should be involved with, and the next day was when we tracted into him for the first time.  He prayed again to ask if that was his answer, and we texted him.  Though he is moving to Minnesota he still wants to learn, and it seems that his life will be taking a turn for the better there, where he can focus on those spiritual things a little bit more.
Then we had a small world moment as we got a referral from some other sisters for a man named E___.  We went to track down the address and discovered it was the same place where we had spanglished to someone a few weeks ago!  We haven't gotten ahold of E___ yet, but not to worry, things like that don't happen on accident ;)
I love you all mucho and can't wait to wear pink with you for TMFWD tomorrow ;) Try not to get too toasty over there in Washington!
love, Sister Emily DeFord



No comments:

Post a Comment