Sister Emily DeFord

Called to serve as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Colorado Fort Collins mission.

Printfriendly

Monday, February 16, 2015

Week 79: 2/16/15 Final Weekly Report

February 16, 2015
Longmont, CO

Over this past week I have hugged and said goodbye to more people than I did when I left for my mission one and a half years ago.  On Sunday I was given the privilege to speak for a few minutes in Sacrament meeting, and I looked out on a ward which I know far better than my own.  They have invited me into their homes, shared their stories of how they met and where they're from and how they have applied the gospel of Jesus Christ in their lives, and I love them more than I thought that I could.

A lot of people have asked over the past week, "what was the best part of your mission?" and "what was the most difficult?" so I thought I would answer those questions for you.

One highlight is almost impossible to identify, but I do believe in perfect moments.  There have been many perfect 'glowy' moments here in Colorado, and in those wonderful 6 months I spent in Wyoming, particularly to see someone that I love and care about so much feel the Spirit of the Lord and recognize his personal love for them as an individual.  There really is nothing more beautiful than that.

As for the most difficult, I know there have been personally trying days, but most of those I don't remember.  The tender mercies of the Lord truly are over all those whom he has chosen and I didn't go through a single slump that he did not lift me out of in a wonderful way which was appreciated in contrast to the difficulty, but also made the troublesome things seem to fade into nothing.  What I do remember are the times when one of those people who has recognized the peace and the hope and real change of the gospel in their life, turns away from it.  For one reason or another, the adversary intrudes and they decide to give up the fight.  However, because of Jesus Christ there is always hope for all of us, so I don't regret a single thing.

Once, towards the beginning of my mission I had a crazy dream (did I tell you about it?) I dreamed that I was in a giant auditorium, with many people that I knew from home and from the ward I was serving in, when a man came up to me and told me that I was going to be sent away because I didn't have a testimony.  I was so embarrassed for him to say that in front of all of those people!  But I also knew it wasn't true.  I told him then, and I am a witness now that Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father live.  They are real.  They have a love for me which I cannot comprehend, it is so all-encompassing that every moment of my life is important to them.  My salvation and eternal progression are of utmost importance to them and that is why Adam fell, that is why Jesus led a made a sacrifice of himself, for me.  I love them and I know that whatever it takes to be with them and to be like them is worth it, regardless of what else must be sacrificed.  He gave everything for me and offers me everything if I want it, and I do.  That same promise is extended to everyone, through his grace.

Even though tomorrow I will be taking off the nametag and not having a companion (actually, today even I will be riding in a car with only two Elders...awkward...) the work is not finished until the great Jehovah says the work is done!

This seriously has been the best week!  I couldn't have asked for a better one to finish out on, but I'll tell you all the stories tomorrow ;) If hear you anything about the crazy missionary carrying a plant in her purse at the airport....that's probably me!

love, Sister Emily DeFord
 








 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment