Sister Emily DeFord

Called to serve as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Colorado Fort Collins mission.

Printfriendly

Monday, August 26, 2013

First Letter dated 8/14/13

{Editors note (aka Mom) This is a snail mail letter we received last week. I decided to add it to the blog because it tells how her first day went. So, while it's out of order and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to put it in the appropriate place, it's still fun to read. Michael and I drove to Utah with Emily on Tuesday, August 13. We stayed with Tricia and Gary Ransom (THANK YOU AGAIN). Wednesday morning we drove to BYU and wandered around the Museum of Art. Then we went to Brick Oven (one of Emily's favorite places) where Michael ate his fill (kind of amazing for a teenage boy) and Emily couldn't eat anything at all. From there we TRIED to find our way to the MTC, however, there is some much construction work going on that it was more problematic then I thought. We drove through the gates, got a pink sticky note on our windshield because we were dropping off a sister missionary, and drove around a loop trying to find a free spot next to the sidewalk. There were tons of people helping show where to go and keeping the traffic moving. We parked and got her luggage out. By then there was a sister missionary ready to take her away so we got some quick hugs and off she went! I'm so excited for these new adventures in her life.}



Dear Fambly,

So, as far as anyone can tell us, yes we are "those sisters who are only here for 5 days." What! I am feeling pretty good about that now though, no more freaking out. Apparently they had too many people coming in at once and needed to move us out! Also, one of the sisters in my district said the groundbreaking for the Fort Collins temple is next week! So by leaving here on Monday we will be there for it which is pretty cool.

Speaking of not much space, I am assigned to West Campus. That means I'm living in an apartment at Wyview and my classes are in an apartment at Raintree. They just built us a cafeteria over here too and they do have chocolate milk. My companion is Sister Astle (she and the other sisters in my district/apartment are also going to Fort Collons on the 19th, our Elders are going to Colorado Springs on the 26th). She has food allergies which made our first dinner kind of an adventure as she tried to find the right people to talk to about that. She's pretty stressed out about the pace of things but we are doing okay. Tomorrow starts earlier so it's longer but I think it will actually be better.

I'm the only newbie on West Campus who memorized the Purpose before coming to the MTC, so President Nally had me recite it at our welcome/orientation tonight. Also, one of my teachers looks like young Harrison Ford.

It sounds like my P-day will be Saturday for this week so I will email then.

My toe is good but super nasty looking {she had a wart removed Tuesday morning on our way out of town!} 

Looking forward to mail!

Love, Sister DeFord

p.s. Brother Crandall said this morning (8/15) that he thinks the 5 days is just a paperwork problem, so I guess we still don't know if it will be 5 or 12.



No comments:

Post a Comment