Sister Emily DeFord

Called to serve as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Colorado Fort Collins mission.

Printfriendly

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Week 62: 10/20/14

October 20, 2014
Cheyenne, WY
"You can still be weird, and clean" Sister Grammer :) Wise words of wisdom there.
Missionaries: "What is the strait and narrow path?"
9 year old who shall remain nameless: "It's like, the sprinkles on a brownie!"
.....what?  Good save by the older sister who made that analogy work ;)
So last Monday we had a really fun time making pancakes and defrosting the freezer, Sister Grammer did the first while I attempted the second.  I used my blowdrying skills which I learned in the dorms, and then also added the new element of simultaneously chopping at the ice with a knife.  Do not try this at home ;) I don't know if I can email GIFs, but I will try to send that one!  It did work though, and now we have much more room in our fridge without all of the ice buildup in there!
I have also begun reading Preach My Gospel from the beginning as we were challenged to do as a mission this transfer.  I increased the difficulty level though, because as I read I am also marking all of the scripture references in my quad in Green pen, so I am doing PMGreen ;) It has been really fun so far and I have found some super awesome scriptures that I didn't look at before so it's worth it!
Want to hear about a rather uncomfortable experience I had at the animal shelter this week?  Well, Sister Grammer and I were just out doing our thing, walking the dogs, when my dog decided he needed to leave me a present.  No problem, I brought a poop bag, so we are all good.  But then, as he is walking away from doing his business he gets a little cactus stuck in his foot.  So I am trying to keep him still so I can get the cactus out, while not letting him wander away so I loose track of where the poop pile is.  He ends up shaking the cactus off so we're good, I go back to picking up his mess.  Little did I know that he had actually pooped on a little cactus family so I reached my hand down and got a cactus in my thumb for the trouble.  Now the poop bag is pinned to my thumb and I can't pull it out because I am holding a dog leash with the other hand so Sister Grammer has to come rescue me, but our dogs don't really get along.  Her trying to grab on to a not pointy part of the cactus to pull it out of my thumb was kind of like shooting a blow dart at a moving target while tubing on the river.
It's okay though.  There were no casualties.
We worked hard and laughed a lot this week.  You know, laugh when you are tired, laugh when you are sad, laugh when your companion does strange things, laugh when the family you live with is home and the boys are playing outside your room while you study ("So apparently, you want to be a hot dog."), laugh when people don't answer the door and you are imagining all of the reasons why, laugh at how awkward you make things sometimes, laugh because the extreme awkwardness actually turned out to be a good thing (we failed to talk to someone who walked past us while we were contacting a potential investigator in an apartment complex.  We felt really bad about it, so we went back and knocked on the door that he went into, even though he told us that he didn't live there.  Actually ended up giving a Book of Mormon to his girlfriend's mom, it was a really good conversation!), laugh when you do strange things, laugh when planning takes way too long, laugh when Elders are strange, laugh when Elders are really good missionaries and good to work with, laugh when you are trying to remember the name of Batman's butler, but you can't think of it no matter how hard you try, so eventually someone has to google it for you (Alfred!  How could we forget!), laugh when you wear the same outfit two days in a row because you did service most of the first day so you only wore it for like two hours and you aren't going to see any of the same people anyone so who will know? (but, I just told you) and laugh when you just need to be happy :)
I hope you laugh a lot this week!
TMFWD shall be green, I am starting to be partial to that color ;) purple is still my favorite though

love, Sister Emily DeFord






No comments:

Post a Comment