Sister Emily DeFord

Called to serve as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Colorado Fort Collins mission.

Printfriendly

Monday, June 23, 2014

Week 45: 6/23/14

June 23, 2014
Cheyenne, WY
 
"Why does it have to be follow the spiders?  Why can't it be follow the butterflies!"
 
So we live in a basement apartment.  Some of you will know that there is a room in my parent's house which I can count on one hand the number of times I have entered it.  Basement bathroom.  Well, Brother Russell mowed the lawn on Saturday, which apparently caused some disruption in the wildlife.  Namely, we battled giant spiders on Saturday night instead of going to bed early like we had planned on.
 
The first of the battles was the longest and hardest fought.  The spider was hanging out under a heater so we could neither catch him (my idea) or smoosh him (Sister Christensen's idea).  The rest of the heater happens to extend along the whole of my bed, so as he ran away from our lights shining on him we pulled the bed away from the wall.  What came to mind that might solve our spider problem?  Well, maybe if we spray him with hairspray or febreze he will die somehow.  So I kept an eye on the spider while Sister Christensen collected our weapons.  The sprays did serve to make things slippery so he couldn't crawl out of sight and we eventually took care of the problem.  I am a murderer :(
 
So yeah, three battles later we were tired, still a bit anxious, but our windows and walls were bug killer sprayed and I slept on my bed as an island in the middle of the room.  Just in case.
 
In other battles.  We had an epic light saber battle with the Russell boys on Monday.  They made light sabers from pool noodles and duct tape and we had a grand every man for himself war :)
 
We had zone conference in Laramie this week where I saw my mission mama (Sister Zvirzdin) for the last time as she goes home at the end of this transfer!  Holy cow!
 

How does that happen?  I knew most of the missionaries giving their departing testimonies which made me sad and happy.  Sad to see them leaving, but happy to know that they have worked hard and been "good and faithful servant[s]"
 
Strangely enough, much of the training by President and Sister Brown at the conference was on marriage and family.  We tend to get lots of marriage advice from all over the place as missionaries (funny, since we aren't looking) but I much prefer that which comes from my leaders, the prophets, and the scriptures!  One thing they mentioned which I know is completely true is that as we go about our missionary business we are, knowingly or unknowingly, making two lists.  One of my lists is what I want my home to be like, the other is what I want in my husband.  I didn't think about the fact that I was doing that, but I definitely have been!
 
Marriage is on the brain as my dear brother Peter is marrying Sarah Dallas this coming weekend and I am very excited for them!  It is a big decision to make, thank goodness Heavenly Father is willing to help us with those kinds of things ;)
 
On an exchange this week with Hermana Smith (not to be confused with Sister Smith) we were in an appointment (which went very well, Sister L____ is going to be starting to read the Book of Mormon again) and when we came out to the car there was "something there that wasn't there before!"  Someone smeared Vaseline all over the windshield and under my door handle!

 
I realized later that the person couldn't have done it on purpose to the missionaries, otherwise there would have been Vaseline under BOTH handles, since we come in twos ;)
 
We had some of the most amazing member present lessons this week!  On of them with E____ who is the aunt of a ward member who asked us to teach her and she came to church for the first time this week after our first lesson with her on Tuesday. It is awesome too that the ward member who made the referral was at the appointment and had already invited her to church and offered to pick her up. I love that kind of missionary work! 
 
As well, things continue wonderfully with S___.  I love her so much!  This week we brought a sister from the ward who has been a member only a little longer than I have been a missionary and S___ was so excited to meet "a fellow heathen!"  She refers to herself that way not infrequently, in a cute way ;) It was really good for both of them though, because they have been in similar situations where my understanding of things is limited, having been brought up in an active LDS home.  We also got to watch Elder Bednar's videos on "Patterns of Light", which explain a little more about how we receive revelation/inspiration, with S___ and the R______ family.
 
We met some new people and are keeping our forks as Charlotte's grandmother would tell her because "the best is yet to come!"
 
love, Sister Emily DeFord
 

No comments:

Post a Comment