Sister Emily DeFord

Called to serve as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Colorado Fort Collins mission.

Printfriendly

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

9/16/13: Happy One Month Anniversary to Me



Our transfers are coming up soon too (happy one month anniversary to me on Michael's birthday!) I think my chances of staying put are good, especially since Sister Z and I both just got to the area.  Plus it sounds like there aren't too many new sisters coming in the next transfer.  I want to be able to help out with all of the clean up too!  It has been so good the past few days to be involved in the work of mudding and cleaning.  I feel like that is really all I have to tell about, but the pictures would be so much better!  (No sd slot on this computer again).  We have been helping out at the evacuation shelters set up in Longmont, plus working on cleaning up a street (read river of mud) clearing out basements and trying to save what we can for people.  Yesterday we only had Sacrament meeting and then went back out.  We ended up taking out the drywall and insulation in a family's basement to get it down to just the studs so they can start over.  I have officially punched a hole in a wall!  Then cleaning up for our evening appointments, it's quite the adventure!  Hopefully things will get better in the next several days too as things become more organized and we can work more in conjunction with the city.

I did leave my rain boots home!  Ah how silly!  Who knew though?  I wouldn't mind a few more t-shirts and probably a sweatshirt, but the stake here is going to get the missionaries set up with boots, work gloves and masks so we should be good.  For some reason they think our tennis shoes soaked in mud might not be good enough...and frown on bare feet also.  Sounds like there are mosre adventures to come though!

The music guidelines are in the missionary white handbook which says basically, music should invite the Spirit and should NOT distract you, be merely entertaining, be romantic or dull spiritual sensitivity by tempo, beat, lyrics, or intensity.  So it is pretty open :)

Have a good week, I will try for more stories next time :) (and pictures!) But I am safe and they are being very specific about us staying that way.  No water over ankle deep, though I wonder how that counts when walking outside is basically like stepping into a swimming pool?  They are taking good care of us though and we are helping out as much as we can.  I just got a helping hands vest today which I am so excited about!  I always wanted to get to use one of them ;)

love, Sister Emily DeFord

No comments:

Post a Comment