Sister Emily DeFord

Called to serve as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Colorado Fort Collins mission.

Printfriendly

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Week 17: 12/9/13



December 9, 2013
Longmont, CO

A funny thing about missionaries.  They hate getting sick.  They will deny being sick.  And when someone finally forces them to stay home because they ARE sick they are very grumpy about it.  No, I'm not sick, but you hear these things about missionaries.  The cool part is really about the daughter of one of the Spanish investigators.  This girl is seven and she loves to go to church!  You may remember being around that age and even a little cold was just too much to consider going to church sometimes.  No.  She cries and begs and wants to go to church, sick or not.  I want to be like her.

This week, I think I will tell the story by pictures, we will see how many it lets me send in one message ;)

Picture 1: This is actually from last week, we were waiting outside an apartment we were going to help clean, because the owner wasn't there yet.  The funny part about this picture is that the hand by my face is Sister Seaborn's, my hand is by Sister Z's face, and Sister Z's hand arm is the gray sweatshirt covered one in the forefront of the picture!


Picture 2: P-day in Estes park!  We visited the Stanleyhotel which apparently inspired "The Shining"


Pictures 3 and 4: Exchanges with Sister Seaborn!  And spending lunch making cookies at Sister Baker's house for the RS cookie exchange :)
 




 

















Picture 5: Exchanges with Sister Snow!  (We had a man tell us he wasn't interested but then talk to us about the Hunger Games because Sister Snow reminded him of President Snow...if only we could have tied in a connection to the other President Snow!)  We both got to drive this week because of exchanges

Picture 6: Ward pajama party!  I mean, Christmas party... :) the theme was Christmas morning so we had breakfast for dinner and lots of fun!  Though our plans for matchmaking were disrupted, it was definitely a great ward party!


We were blessed to have a missionary conference this last week where Elder Craig C. Christensen (one of the Presidents of the Seventy) spoke to us.  At conferences like this, they usually begin with 'shaking hands' where all of the missionaries file up and shake hands with President and Sister Brown as well as the special visitor.  My companion happens to be a wonderful pianist and is usually called upon to play at these gatherings.  So, as everyone shakes hands, we sit on the stand and she plays prelude.  Last time it wasn't a big deal because we had met Elder Gay at our stake conference, but this time we made sure to slip up at the end and meet everyone :)

It was a very good meeting.  We are always encouraged to come with questions, but I slacked off a bit on preparing and wasn't sure what to ask.  However, throughout the conference there were several topics mentioned which I have spent some time pondering recently and I was surprised and delighted to learn more on those subjects, from the speakers as well as from the Spirit.

After the conference the Missionary Leadership Conference was held which I got to hang around during because my companion, a Sister Training Leader, had to attend.  Theoretically I was going to catch up/get ahead on my Book of Mormon reading to finish before the end of the year, but instead gathered all of the other lonely companions around to talk instead of sitting by ourselves.  It was a good chance to catch up with some of our transferred away Sisters, and to meet some others from different parts of the mission.

Transfers are coming up next week so I will let you know what happens!  Sister Zvirzdin and I have been together in this ward for three transfers, my whole mission so far, a change is coming but we aren't sure what!

I love you all and have a great week!

love, Sister Emily DeFord

No comments:

Post a Comment